In Crafting Your Best Defense, We’re Fighting for Us All
About Wes Rucker
I am a native Houstonian but earned my undergraduate degree from Columbia University in New York City. Texas and New York certainly have their differences. The experiences of living in both places has been a tremendous asset to me. Likewise, I have been both a prosecutor and an attorney in private practice. Seeing litigation from different sides has helped me offer informed legal aid and direction for my clients.
During the 10 years that I served as a prosecutor and felony district court chief in the major offenders section, I handled a variety of criminal and civil cases, specializing in white-collar crime, civil litigation, DWI, and many others. As a prosecutor, I began to notice that many defendants weren’t receiving proper representation from their attorneys—and most suffered convictions, prolonged sentencing, and higher fines because of it.
It wasn’t long before I decided to launch my own law firm to offer defendants zealous but honest representation. I became board certified in criminal defense law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization and established my own law firm in order to provide my clients with legal aid to guide them through the rigors of defense law litigation. To that end, I’ve successfully represented countless clients facing charges ranging from DWI’s to murder—all backed by my experience arguing on both sides of the courtroom.
- William Weston Rucker, III, PLLC (Current)
- Trichter & Murphy, P.C. (2014-2017)
- Assistant District Attorney (2004-2014)
- Harris County District Attorney’s Office, Houston, Texas
- Prosecuted over 65 first-chair jury trials, including 12 first-chair homicide cases
- Chief Prosecutor – White Collar Crime Division
- Chief Prosecutor – Major Offenders Division: As one of the best lawyers, I was Invited to join the most sought-after division. Investigated and vertically prosecuted major offenses and major offenders in coordination with local, state, and federal law enforcement.
- Chief Prosecutor – White-Collar Crime Division: Investigated, prepared, and tried all types of complex financial crimes in Harris County, including organized crime and money laundering, multimillion-dollar theft, insurance fraud, bank fraud, commercial bribes, and misapplication of fiduciary property.
- Chief Prosecutor – 209th Criminal District Court of Harris County, Texas
- Handled all aspects of the most serious cases in the court, including capital murder.
- Prosecutor/Chief Prosecutor
- Promoted to Felony Court Chief for the 209th Criminal District Court.
- Appointed to Vehicular Crimes team, Identity Theft Division, and Police Integrity Division, where he wrote memos and guidelines for Internal Affairs investigations.
- Promoted to Misdemeanor Court Chief for County Court at Law No. 3.
Education & Training
- South Texas College of Law, Houston, TX Juris Doctorate (2004)
Dean’s Merit Scholarship, Dean’s List
- Columbia University, New York, NY Bachelor of Arts in History (2001)
- July 29, 2016 Houston, Texas; Defending a DWI Charge
- September 23, 2014 Boerne, Texas; Texas DWI Defense Lawyers Association, Case Law Update
Capital trial prosecution, prosecuting homicide cases, career prosecutor course, intoxication manslaughter school, accident reconstruction for prosecutors, prosecuting the drug-impaired driver.
Bar Leadership & Professional Associations
- State Bar of Texas (November 2004)
- Houston Bar Association – Criminal Law Section, Treasurer; Continuing Legal Education Committee
- American Bar Association
- National District Attorneys Association
- National College for DUI Defense
- Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- Texas District and County Attorneys Association
- The National Trial Lawyers Top 100 – (2014, 2015, 2016)
- Licensed to Practice United States Court Southern District of Texas Texas
- DWI Defense Lawyers Association
- Guest Speaker on Texas Criminal Law, Houston Rockets/NBA (2012, 2013)
- Instructor, Houston Police Department Cadet Class #213 (2012)
- Instructor, Houston Police Department Cadet Class #211 (2011)
- Teaching Star Award for Dedication and Devotion to Law Enforcement Training (2011)
- Faculty Advisor, Prosecutor Trial Skills Seminar – Austin, Texas (2010)
- Instructor, Harris County Sheriff’s Office – DWI Investigation (2008)
- Mothers Against Drunk Driving Award for Exceptional Dedication and Service (2008)
- Victim Witness Award for Dedication and Devotion to Crime Victims (2007)